Thursday, September 5, 2019

WQ6X Learns LoTs from COQP & TNQP Double-OP

W Q 6 X  remoting  in  from  Alameda
State and area QSO parties can be a lot of fun; especially if a significant number of stations participate in their own QP (party).  As I gear up for another monumental California QSO Party (CQP), I participate in other parties to keep my skills sharpened, pay closer attention to Space-WX and propagation and test-run new hardware configurations that may be introduced in the next CQP.
W Q 6 X  running  S T N - 1  remotely
This last weekend, August ended with the Colorado QSO Party (COQP) while September [1st] began with the Tennessee QSO Party (TNQP). Right in the MIDDLE of it all, a NASTY Solar-disturbance occurred giving us an A-Index of 38 and a K-Index of 4.  Reading through the 3830Scores Log submissions, it is clear that I was HARDLY the ONLY station with a "hearing problem". 
From what I can determine, 15-meters was a no-show for just about everyone.

I chose to run a Cw only operation from STN-1 @ NX6T while Axel KI6RRN ran mixed mode in these QSO parties from NX6T's STN-2.  We worked out a cellphone signaling system guaranteeing that we didn't work the same band at the same time. 

For the upper bands, by default STN-1 utilizes a 3-el StePP-IR while STN-2 uses a C-31 (multi-element) yagi.  The shorty-40 yagi and Stepp-IR are on the same tower mast (offset by 90 degrees); finding a compromise azimuth position can be a bit tricky.  Nevertheless, Axel and I managed to work both QSO parties sharing resources.  Power-wise, for heat reasons I chose to run the Expert-2K @ around 580 watts.

During this year's COQP event, I encountered two beefs; one a 2-parter.  While the weekend's solar storm certainly put a limit on the signal strength & SNR, as usual, there were HARDLY enough CO stations calling CQ.  From the Left (California) Coast we usually experience a "pipeline" to Colorado, leading me to expect a plethora of COQP signals; even QRP.

Lately, when I experience a DEARTH of QSO party CQ's, I find a run frequency and put out a QP CQ call.  For the most part, stations responding to my CQ COQP call were NO WHERE NEAR Colorado - wassup with that?  Out of frustration I added Part 2 to the "7 Reasons you should not call me" BLOG entry.

My other COQP beef for 2019, was the number of CO stations w/o a "0" in their call.  When they call CQ, they should append a /County to their callsign; when they respond to my CQ calls they should add a /0 to their call so I don't think they are non-CO and ignore them.
 
When it was all over (@04:00z) a whopping 14 Colorado QSOs (in 10 counties) made it to the log.  The COQP guys either need to add MORE HOURS to their QP event (how about on Sunday?) and/or recruit MORE CO STATIONS to participate in their own even.  Nevertheless the stations that DiD participate were fun to hunt for.
 
The Tennessee QSO Party (TNQP), wisely runs on Sunday, altho I wish they would start earlier
than 18:00z to give us a possible morning AND evening TN access on 40 meters; how about
starting @ 14:00z?
 
One of the things I like about TNQP is the existence of bonus stations; in this case, K4TCG worth
a whopping 100 points.  Bonus stations add to the operating excitement, and therefore, gives us added incentive to participate in the TNQP events.  Fortunately, K4TCG usually has a LOUD signal.
 
There are QSO Parties with rules that state unless we make 50+ QSOs we cannot qualify for a Certificate or a Plaque, yet there are often way less that 50 in-state stations, or stations work
3 - 4 bands, giving us a chance for multiple QSOs.
 
In the TNQP event, a 1st-place win is a 1st-place win, no matter how FEW QSOs are made. 
If your submitted score is higher than other submitted scores for that category, then, you win .
 
DiD YOU participate in the COQP or TNQP QSO parties?
 
How many [new] counties made it to YOUR LoG?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment