Tuesday, September 3, 2019

7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 2


When I wrote Part 1 of this BLOG topic, altho I sub-titled it "Part 1" - implying there was more to say on this subject - I had no idea that the "more to say" would come up so soon.

In looking for real-life examples to illustrate the 7 points
I wrote up in Part 1, I had to look no further than the recent HQP and COQP state QSO parties. 

One of my bitches regarding most state QSO parties (California excepted) is that not enough in-state stations participate in their own party event; or at least, they are not calling CQ for their party.  Therefore, if THEY are not calling CQ, then I WILL.  There are often 10x the out-of-state callers than in-state stations to be called.




Out of desperation, I will find a run frequency (such as this weekend's CQ COQP calls on 7053.53).  With few exceptions, the stations calling me, SHOULD NOT BE CALLING ME.  Pay attention as I go over this a second time based on my recent operation in the COQP Colorado QSO party.

I defined N1MM's F1 key to send: "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/CA"
Later I defined N1MM's F1 key to send: "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/6"
From those CQ's I received calls from MO, 2 W7's, a K9, a WB8, a K6 and a KG5 - NONE of
them in CO (Colorado).

Then I defined the F-10 key to send  "I wrk Colorado Only"
Based on this I ask the following Questions:
  • Do You know what "COQP" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know the rules for the COQP?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "WQ6X/CA" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "WQ6X/6" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know that "WQ6X/CA" or "WQ6X/6" means I am in California and NoT Colorado?  If not, then in the COQP contest, YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "I wrk Colorado Only" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT 
    CALL ME.
  • Do You know what it means to listen before responding to a COQP contest call? 
    If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know that when I  send "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/CA" that I am NoT looking to ragchew?  If so, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
While I understand that you may be looking to work a WQ6 station, or a station in California,
the Colorado QSO party is NoT the time to do that; there are other stations making a general
CQ call - call them instead.

The way to win friends and make QSOs is to find out what the rules of engagement are and work within those rules.  To do otherwise is to waste everyone's time as well as the frequency spectrum.  One of the EASIEST ways to know what the rules are is to look up the event(s) using your favorite search engine (as shown above).

My recommendation is to read the rules for the given QSO party and then, like me, look for stations
in that state.  Do this long enough and you may have enough U.S. counties in your log to qualify for Worked All USA Counties award.

Meanwhile, the California QSO Party (CQP) is just weeks away.
Feel free to call me then.

No comments:

Post a Comment