Sunday, August 4, 2019

DO You QRL?

When you run radiosport contests do
you QRL?  Do you even KNOW what
the term QRL means?  Do you know
the meaning of "context"?

QRL is an old traffic handling Q-code 
essentially asking, "are you busy?",
or, "is the frequency busy"?

Of course it should go without stating that before we EVER transmit on a given frequency, we should listen 5 - 10 seconds in case the stations are in a transition between contest exchanges.

Quickly resolving the QRL problem
is so important that when I'm running the N1MM+ contest logger there are two function keys defined for this purpose:

  • Q R L ?
  • Q R L  Q S Y ! !
and, if necessary:
  • Q R L  Q S Y  L I D ! ! !
Essentially, asking "QRL?" is a courtesy step, however there is a pre-requisite step: LISTENING THOROUGHLY First.  After a few seconds you may discover the frequency to be QUITE occupied.
Remember This: If you hear me working a station then there is no reason for a QRL query - the frequency is already occupado - DUH!  If you MUST "QRL?" keep the inquiry Short and Succinct; nothing worse than an IDIOT QRM'ing me with numerous/lengthy QRL queries.


Occasionally a station will move right in on top
off my run frequency; legitimately not hearing me.  When I get that for whatever reason they aren't/won't go away, I take steps to either tweak the IF-shift, or even shift frequency slightly until that station is out of passband hearing, hoping future calling stations will figure it out.

Usually, within a minute or two the move-in station either realizes that I am LOUDer than they are, or, that they simply don't have a clue and move on.  I immediately return to the original run frequency.  I once wrote a brief Blog entry about this phenomenon - [CLICK HERE] to
read that.

Have you ever wondered why I use SPECIFIC run frequencies (Ex: 7.027.27 or 3.535.35 or in RTTY contests, something like 14.089.89)?

On Ssb or Cw, a station may be "accidently" calling CQ on my run frequency.  However in RTTY GiGs, when I receive PERFECT COPY CQ Calls, I KNOW it is NO accident - WAKE UP People!

Remember this: our frequency spectrum is a shared resource to accomplish the most optimum communication exchanges as optimally possible.  To more easily manage that resource, it all
begins with LISTENing First.

Now, here is ANOTHER use of QRL:
Because we share the frequency resource, most radiosport "rulebooks" in one-way-or-another prohibit Single-OP's from making 2 (or more) simultaneous CQ calls; however, if you want to call
CQ & S&P simultaneously, you are free to do so if you can Do-It responsibly and effectively.

If I hear your LOUD CQ Contest call and you don't come back to anyone on your run frequency,
I will send "WQ6X" 3 times.  If STILL no response, I am going to assume you have lost yourself in the SO2-V / SO2-R game.  I will then send "QRL? [pause] QRL? [pause] QRL?".  If STILL no response, the frequency is now mine and I immediately launch a CQ call; often receiving calls from the other stations that the Dingle-Dork left hanging. 

Of course what often happens is that the idiot does NoT listen before transmitting and "blindly"
begins calling CQ contest.  Now, technically he is QRM'ing me.  This is what the F-11 (QRL QSY) function key is for.  Remember: ALWAYS listen before transmitting.

Learning how we hundreds of radio operations can compatibly co-exist over one or two evenings
in one or two radio bands on a given weekend is yet another reason I contend that, more than anything else, properly run, radio sport contest GiGs are truly emergency preparedness exercises.
([CLICK HERE] to read what I originally said about this.)

What about YOU?

Why do You radiosport?

When you Do, do You do the due duty, observing the spirit of QRL?

No comments:

Post a Comment