Tuesday, July 23, 2019

WQ6X Blast from the PAST: NAQP RTTY

 
In addition to running the RTTY RU and WPX RTTY GiGs, over the years,
I have discovered the NAQP RTTY to be an excellent 12-hour diversion from
the insanity of the world I live in.

LooKing back in the archive and past WQ6X Contest Blog entries, it would seem
that I have participated in the following NAQP RTTY events:
  1. [x] - FEB 2013 - NAQP RTTY from the Phoenix Lodge
  2. [x] - JUL 2013 - Multi-2 w/N6GEO from his Brentwood QTH
  3. [x] - FEB 2014 - Multi-2 w/N6GEO from his Brentwood QTH
  4. [x] - FEB 2016 - Remote operation from Harrah's Laughlin
  5. [x] - JUL 2016 - Remote operation from the Clarion Hotel
  6. [x] - FEB 2017 - Remote operation from Alameda
  7. [x] - JUL 2017 - Remote operation of NAQP & DMC RTTY Events
  8. [x] - JUL 2018 - Remote operation of NAQP & DMC RTTY Events
  9. [x] - JUL 2019 - Remote operation from Alameda
 NAQP contests are unique in that the SAME contest is run during the winter months and then repeated in the mid-summer months.  The NAQP RTTY GiG is run first in February and
again in July.  If I completely screw it up in February I get another shot at it in July.


For WQ6X, NAQP RTTY began with a completely ad-HOC portable operation in Feb. 2013 using
a pair of vertical ham-sticks lashed to a pole shoved up a tree.  Thanks to the MFJ 949-E antenna tuner, I was able to put 90 QSOs in the log from all over North and Central America.

For the July (2013) GiG, I teamed up with N6GEO as we made our first test-run of the FLEX-1500
(5 w.) SDR rig into an HL-45b amplifier; the same configuration we used to drive the Alpha 87 amp
to 149.49 watts, enabling us to win the 2014 RTTY RU contest as WP2/WQ6X from St. Croix. 
([CLICK HERE] to read about that.)



NAQP RTTY-wise, I took 2015 off to play in various Cw/Ssb NAQP GiGs.  In 2016 a vacation at Harrah's in Laughlin allowed me to cash-in on a free room comp (with a speedy internet connection) and win some $$$'s at the Blackjack tables (one of my hobbies).  On Saturday morning I settled in for 10 hours to run NAQP RTTY remotely from Fallbrook; after which, it was back to the Blackjack tables - at The Golden Nugget, not Harrah's.


For the July 2016 GiG my vacation week found me lounging at the Clarion hotel.  Attempting to run the NAQP RTTY from the hotel was virtually impossible due to electrical noise from the construction site across the parking lot.  Because I was too lazy to go fetch the MFJ-626 noise canceller and a different antenna configuration to hang out the 25th floor window,  on that basis, the choice of remoting in to Fallbrook was a no-Brainer.


For 2017 I was back running remote again.  Different this time was that the DMC RTTY contest
was "wrapped around" the 12 hours of the NAQP GiG, allowing me to essentially run both contests;
at different times, of course.


For 2018 somehow I missed out on the February NAQP RTTY, choosing instead to write a Blog entitled WQ6X reminisces about RTTY.  Similar to 2017, the NAQP RTTY contest was again wrapped by the DMC RTTY GiG.  This time, a respectable 293 QSOs made it to the log and I had a splendid time doing it.

All the above brings us up to the year 2019.  In February, client commitments kept me off the radio leaving me to double-vow that I would not miss the July GiG; I didn't.  While it began as a disaster,
the exhilarating "Just DOIT!" attitude prevailed, putting 290 QSOs in the log; almost as much as 2017's 293 - GO Figure.

The NAQP GiG this year succeeded in shaking down both sides of the Alameda - Fallbrook connection, ensuring I will be ready for the CQ W.W. RTTY contest in September.

What about YOU?

Do YOU ever play in the NAQP RTTY Contests?

Is, WQ6X, N6GEO or NX6T in YOUR LoG?

No comments:

Post a Comment