Sunday, July 7, 2019

7 Things I do after EVERY Radiosport Weekend

After running another dual-contest weekend
(this one being the DL-Dx RTTY and Marconi Memorial Contest), it occurred to me that there are several things that need to be done before I can say that a given contest (or group of contests) is a wrap.
Here are the raw notes I scribbled from this inquiry.

Frequently during a radiosport weekend I will snap a dozen or more "live action" pictures (and video-clips) with my cellphone and use my SNAP-Shot software
to screen capture things that are significant on my computer or happening @ NX6T (in Fallbrook),
when I am running contest GiGs remotely.

There was a time when I was too lazy to make those things happen; I wanted the Peanut Butter Stout but didn't want to work for it first; altho sometimes I drink the stout DURING the contest operations.


In an overall sense, the seven things needed to wrap a contest event include:
  1. Checking all the log settings.  Is my entry properly categorized? (Single-OP, Multi-OP; Assisted, unAssisted; High Power, Low Power; In-State, outside-State; fixed, portable
    or rover; which IOTA island; which CQ/IARU Zone or GRID-Square, etc.)
  2. Producing a CABRILLO Log file and double checking that the above settings are properly indicated.  Every log I submit includes a SOAPBOX that at the very least, contains a
    link to WQ6X.Blogspot.Com.
  3. Produce contest-related color statistics from the software being used.  These screenshots will
    be used to create BlogSpot BLOG entries and webpages, as well as e-Mailed to those who are interested in such things.  If more than one program is being used (such as N1MM+ AND DX-Log) then two sets of stats will be produced.
  4. Document the contest operation at 3830Scores.Com.  This allows others to find out why my operation seemed so flaky to them.  In every contest entry I include one or more links to my musings here on WQ6X.Blogspot.com.
  5. Submit the log to the contest host affiliated with each event.  If the submission is via e-mail,
    I file the submission-email along with the acknowledgement reply when my log is received.
  6. If I haven't yet done so, I scribble BLOG notes that will eventually be incorporated into BLOG entries here.  During contest operations I keep a notepad handy next to the keyboard allowing me to bullet-item major points as they happen; along with time/frequency, where relevant.
  7. Write one or more BLOG entries about what just happened.  Usually I produce one BLOG entry per weekend.  Then again, events like the 2019 Field Day need 3 (or more) entries to really illustrate what-the-hell happened. 
    For the Jan-2014 WP2/WQ6X operation from St. Croix, there were a total of 5 BLOG entries written about the different aspects of our operation there; including the RTTY RU results comments about our unique operation.
WP2/WQ6X  Lounging  after  2014  RTTY RU
I mentioned earlier that I allowed "laziness" to stand in the way of making the above things happen.  When I realized I was missing out on a LoT of winners plaques and 1st-place certificates, I rolled off my hammock and did something about it.  As of July 1st, the certificates binders contain 145 winner certs from the biggest contest events, to "little" contest GiGs you may have never heard of before;
like this last weekend's DL-DX RTTY and Marconi Memorial contests. Currently 4 Winners plaques adorn the wall.  While I/we have qualified for another 10-plaques, because no one sponsored them,
I will have to shell out $75/plaque to put them on my wall.

What about YOU?

What things do YOU always do after a radiosport event?

No comments:

Post a Comment