Monday, July 22, 2019

Why you should ALWAYS OP-On

Virtually every contest logging program I am aware of has some variation of a software facility that more-or-less goes by the name of OP-ON.  One of the first things I do when I sit down to operate
live @ NX6T, N6GEO, K6QLF or even WQ6X (@W7AYT) is to type-in OPON to bring up one of
the above screens.  In a way, when I remote-in to NX6T, OP'ing On is even MORE important,
which I shall detail later in this Blog.

As WQ6X I use the N1MM+ and WINTEST logging programs; at NX6T we've recently added DX-Log (a derivative of WINTEST) into our contest operations from Fallbrook.  Because both programs were [allegedly] designed by the same designer, the operational similarities make things easier for OPs new to Fallbrook who are familiar with one or the other program.

While it is customary to type in one's callsign, virtually ANY name or moniker can be used.  Sometimes we mentor not-yet-licensed but budding contest operators; using a unique name like "Joe+WQ6X" allows us to track how we did during those periods and if necessary, scrutinize those QSOs more closely for any data-entry mistakes.

Now, when it comes to "tracking" while some people resent the idea of "being tracked" (BiG Brother watching and all), there are a number of legitimate reasons to utilize (and capitalize) on the use of OPON:

  • To get credit for QSOs made.  This is not only good for an ego-stroke, it allows us to make a determination as to what operating shift a given operator seems to be best suited for.  For example, it didn't take long to realize that I make a good 2am to 6-8am operator, but not so good for the 8am to NooN+ shift.  On the other hand K4RB (often my relief operator in the morning) is best suited for the 8am - 2pm shift, but isn't much of an evening OP.
    Other operators are more suited for the 2pm to 8pm shift, and I often run the "dinner hour" (8 to 10:30 pm) before getting some sleep for the 2am shift.
    (Notice the small block of QSOs made under the NX6T callsign.  This was an operator error which was quickly corrected.  When Rick brought to my attention that he had initially forgotten to OPON, that "mystery" was no longer a mystery.)
  • As a contest is being after-documented, knowing who was running which radio, when, allows me to e-mail those OPs for their input on how the contest was running, as well as their take on unique events (such as the "F - U" guy during a recent JIDX Ssb GiG) while they were OP'd in.
  • I often take web-cam pictures during onsite NX6T operations for use in this WQ6X Contest Blog.  Because we sometimes train newer operators I may not immediately recognize someone; being able to correlate them against the actual log makes it easier to write informational "bits" for whatever Blogs I am working on or anticipating.
  • With programs like N1MM+, identifying myself allows me to setup the window positions
    to my liking and then SAVE those window positions.  The next time I sit down to operate,
    no matter what position changes have been made by other operators, when I OPON,
    the software rearranges the screen layout to the way it was when I left.

    This trick can also be exploited when I run WQ6X from W7AYT.  Because the screen layout is considerably different for RTTY (versus Cw, for example), using an OPON of WQ6X-RTTY allows unique operational setups on a per-mode basis.
  • For running Ssb contests with N1MM+, using OPON offers another useful possibility: different .WAV files can be made for EACH operator - when that operator uses OPON, and presses the function keys to (to call CQ, ID, or send an exchange), his/her set of
    voice files are used automatically.  Yes, it takes advance preparation to make all this
    work, and, once working, this technique is a HUGE time-saver.
  • Thanks to the drop-down lists in WINTEST and DX-Log, when I OPON, I receive an overview of who has been operating recently.  This information makes it easier to determine who should be e-mail solicited for upcoming radiosport events.
There are probably other uses for utilizing the useful OPON facility in a unique & useful way. 
When those ideas become obvious to me, look for a Part-2 in this Blog-series.

What about YOU?

Do YOU use OPON?

If NoT, WHY NoT?

If you do, what benefits have you found in doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment