Monday, October 10, 2022

Why You should LISTEN BE-4 You call Me

I have written so many Blog entries about this situation, you would think operators would get
the message by now; but ONLY if they have been to http://WQ6X.Blogspot.com.  Past installments
on the topic of listening before you transmit have included:
  • [X] - Why YOU should listen BE-4 You transmit
  • [X] - Do You QRL?
  • [X] - Why Calling "CQ Asia" still means that You Should Not Call Me
  • [X] - A Dozen+ ways to say: "You Should Not Call Me!"
  • [X] - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 1
  • [X] - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 2
  • [X] - You're A DUP OL' Man
  • [X] - WQ6X Works another CINCO-de-Contest Weekend
  • [X] - WQ6X Offers Further PROOF that - "You Should Not Call Me!"
I recently wrote a Blog on SWL'ing (shortwave listening) which goeswith previous entries written on why we should listen before we transmit.  Tuning the shortwave/utility bands teaches us yet again how to listen.

At all times, there should be a purpose for every transmission we make.  When you are about to call me, ask yourself "what is the purpose for making that transmission?"  If you hear me calling CQ in a radiosport contest:
  • Do You know the rules of the contest?
  • Do You know WHO I am targeting w/my CQ?
  • Have You already worked me on this band/mode?
  • If I am calling for DX or a particular state/province, are You located in that area?
  • If I ask for a certain call area or callsign, are you in that area and/or does your callsign sound like who I am asking for?
If any of the above criteria are not met, then you should NoT call me - it's as simple as that.

While random calling of stations may result in a random QSO, calling stations who are not prepared to work you, is NoT the way to "win friends and influence people".  The way to make new friends over the radio is to listen BE-4 you transmit and then selectively call those stations who are open to conversing with you - essentially the same as in real life.

Therefore, I leave you with this question - Do YOU listen before You transmit?

No comments:

Post a Comment