Monday, October 31, 2022

Rising to the Challenge in Radiosport and Toastmasters

While I discovered Amateur Radio in high school, in those days I didn't think of myself as possessing much in the way of leadership qualities.  Even with that deficit, members of the LHS radio club elected me president for 3 out of 4 years (they were either too scared or too lazy to take on the role).  In retrospect, I simply followed the Joe Walsh (WB6ACU) style of leadership: tell everyone you've got things under control - they will not only believe you, they will assist you in accomplishing the desired goals.

Having been president of the Alameda Tongue Twisters Toastmasters club several times, I used
pretty much the same method.  The most important thing a president can do for their organization
is to envision one-or-more goals for the club, while creating the operating "space" for that to happen. 
I delegate tasks I am not so good at to others who are more capable in that area.

With the Amateur Radio Club of Alameda (ARCA), I was quietly encouraged into becoming the club president.  In all honesty, any club successes are largely attributable to the other members of the board.  I simply keep the club spirit alive and work with the others to keep this club with a long history, alive and prospering.

With ARCA, I get to find keynote speakers for our club meetings.  This year alone, we have hosted: Bob Heil, Time Duffy (K3LR), president of DX engineering and Ed Fong, a noted antenna expert.  When a speaker can't make it, I give fill-in presentations.  We even have Gordon (WB6NOA) slated
for our March 2023 meeting.  Schmoozing around the recent Pacificon convention allowed me to pass out president cards to attracting future speakers and speaking engagements w/other clubs.

In Toastmasters, one of the joys of being president is handing out ribbons and awards to guests and club members, as they wind their way thru the Pathways program.  As a Toastmaster Area Directors for the San Leandro area, I visited each club venue several times, encouraging them to take their club to the next level, while filling-in as a guest speaker with a hip pocket ("Hot Pocket"?) speech from time to time.

For ARCA, as president I have spearheaded event operations for CQP and Field Day, while other club members keep VHF emergency preparedness nets alive throughout each week, rotating net control duties amongst the members every month.  I just step back out of the way, creating space for them to do what they do best.

I guess in summary, we could say that success is largely based on creating space for others to deliver the best performance.

What about YOU?

What are YOUR Secrets of Success?


No comments:

Post a Comment