Thursday, July 2, 2020

You're A DUP OL' Man...

During Wednesday's Canadian RAC contest, I must've sent over 25 callers the "QSO B4" message from N1MM+; it was necessary for several callers - TWICE!  HuH?  Am I MISSING Something? 
I shall explain......

Every radiosport GiG has a LIMIT to the number of
times I can work you in the contest.  For November Sweepstakes it's ONCE - Period!  In most other contests, it's once per band and/or once per band-mode.  How do you know what is allowed in any given contest?  Very Simple - READ the CONTEST RULES.

 Once you have reached that quota with regard to my callsign, then, very clearly, "You should NoT Call Me".  I've written about this phenomenon many times in this contest Blog.

7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me:
[Part 1]  [Part 2] & in May [Part 3].

Evidently I'm not getting the message across.


SO, what does it mean that you can only work me once, once per-band or once per band-mode? 
It means you can only work me once, once per-band or once per band-mode.  What is so difficult to understand about that?  Reading the contest rules will identify which is allowed in that particular contest.  If you're STILL not sure, an e-mail to the contest host (BE-4 the contest) will get your
answer straightened out.

The above 7 ways of saying it, essentially say the same thing: DO NoT CALL ME!
There is almost nothing worse than a LOUD station, slightly off frequency, with chirpy or choppy
Cw who keeps calling (obliterating the other legitimate callers) and in the end, the IDIOT turns out
to be a DUP; in fact, he just made a QSO with me 12 minutes ago!  HuH?  Where is your BRAIN? 
Am I missing something?

Here's the REAL problem.
- Are you calling in again because you simply don't have a clue?
   (If I work you again, I signal to you that DUP QSOs are ok.)
- Are you calling in again because you forgot to log me or because you logged my call incorrectly
   the first time?  (Therefore if I DON'T work you again I won't be in your log.)
- I can send you an exchange (to shut you up) and then not log you, only to later discover that
   you didn't log me properly to begin with so the LCR robot DINGS my original log entry as N-I-L
   (Not in Log).

The REAL way to solve this problem is to Read the Contest rules before deciding to call me.  Otherwise we're back to one of the reasons you should not call me. 

In the case of the Canada RAC contest, if you don't know what RAC means, then you should NoT
call me.  If you don't know that I am expecting "5NN 001, etc.", then you should NoT call me.  Except for NAQP and State QSO parties, during radiosport, I don't CARE what your name is or what city you reside in.  I certainly don't care what your power-level is, your antenna configuration or the name of your Beagle dog.

It's ALL about Listening.  I recently wrote a Blog describing why we should listen BE-4 we transmit.  Have you READ that?  If not [CLICK HERE] to check it out.

BTW, in case you wonder why I send "You are a Dup OM", it's because YL's do not seem to make this mistake - only OLD MEN.  So WAKE UP OM.  Radiosport events run more smoothly when we first read the rules and log every callsign correctly.

What about YOU?

How do YOU deal with DUP Qsos?

No comments:

Post a Comment