Wednesday, July 29, 2020

WQ6X JoTs a Few ThoTs about Juggling BoTs in IOTA

The RSGB IOTA (Islands on the Air) contest is a unique radiosport GiG in
that we are looking for RSGB Island-designators, not countries; altho some countries are also made up of islands.

Last year, I ran my BEST EVER IOTA GiG.  ([Click Here] to read about it.)  While this year was actually a LoT more fun, it turns out I didn't do nearly as well as 2019.  Go Figure.

Running Fallbrook's STN-1 remotely
(via RCForb), I chose to run Cw only
and not mixed-mode.  In looking at the after-scores on the 3830Scores website, it seems to have been the correct choice.

Running from Alameda allows me to process the RCForb audio thru a pair
of Autek QF-1a filters, one coupled with
an old MFJ-751 Signal Enhancer.


Being an RSGB contest, the IOTA GiG of course starts at 12:00z (NooN) in the U.K., which of course is 5am on the Left Coast - oh the sacrifices we make in order to play radiosport.  From the beginning,
I noticed not enough Island stations calling CQ; I took it upon myself to remedy the dearth of CQ's by spending much of my operating time running frequencies.

Lack of Island participation is always a problem, however I had hoped this year would be different.  Unfortunately, an e-mail from K9NW explained it like this:
"Given that RSGB nixed multi's and island expeditions this year, it's little wonder there were less islands active.  There was no incentive to go out. "
Bummer dewd.  I would've thot that as long as the activities were conducted indoors on those
islands there would be no problem.  I guess knot.  For us Left-coasters, fortunately, Japan represents 5 different islands.  Qsos with Island stations are worth 15 points (not to mention the multiplier value) instead of just 2-points per land-lubber station. 

The distinction between Island-designators and CQ or ITU zones is best explained as follows:
Searching the Internet I came across the above picture that allows us to look at Islands around the globe.  [CLICK HERE] to look at that website.

For the IOTA weekend I found the band conditions to be quite interesting. 
While 15-meters produced very little QSO content, it turns out there  a couple of openings
on 10-meters.  Later after 20-meters seemed to have closed, after running out of 40/80
meter stations to work, another look on 20-meters put another couple of QSOs into the log.
Normally, when I am working JA stations, adding "Billy-Bob" from the Southeast U.S. is worth nothing.  For the IOTA GiG Billy-Bob (off the back of the Shorty-40 yagi) is at least worth 2-points; Cuba (just beyond that) was worth a full 15 points.
Noticeably missing from this IOTA GiG (as well as 2019 & 2017) was South America.  Except for stations in Brazil, no S/A stations were worked; much less any Southern Hemisphere Islands from that area.
 
While I ran in the high power category, for shack heat considerations I kept the power down to about 660 watts throughout the contest.  Because 160 meters is not allowed in this contest, I did not have
to be concerned with BOMBING the internet connection on 160 (as we have done in years past).
 
When it was all over, the 3830 Stats indicate that WQ6X took 10th-place worldwide,
2nd-place for North America and 1st-place for USA - who woulda figured THAT?
 
DiD YOU work the RSGB IOTA contest?
 
Is WQ6X in YOUR LoG?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment