Sunday, June 5, 2022

Creative Competition in Radiosport and Toastmasters Part-9: Preparing to Practice or Practicing to Prepare?

In BLOG #9 of this series, we looked at the importance of Practice, Practice, Practice. 
On the radiosport end of things, we looked at how using macros can be a practice activity. 
Which of course assumes macros exist in the first place.  This is where preparation comes in. 
Practice and preparation are two-sides of the same activity.

In radiosport, because I keep a running contest calendar, I know what events are
coming up  (short-term) and take whatever steps necessary to be ready for that event. 
This includes: 

  • Setting up a log under N1MM+ and testing the behind-the-scenes macros
    (Cw & RTTY) and/or .WAV/.MP3 files Ssb).
  • Turning the power down to 0, I contest all the function keys to make a series of dummy-QSOs.  When I'm satisfied the logfile is functioning correctly, it is then reset to start over for the actual event.
  • To make score and log submission easier, sub-directory structure is already in place
    for the log files as well as the blog write-up itself.
    Double-checking this structure before encourages me to review previous contest operations for this event, creating an operating plan for THIS year.

        Likewise, with Toastmasters, a number of preparatory processes are in order:

  • Whenever/wherever possible visit the venue where you will be speaking; know what the speaking room will be like, guaranteeing you will NoT be surprised as you enter the room. (Know before you go.)
  • With events currently being held virtually, you largely have control over the speaking area.  However, depending on lighting and camera quality, your presentation may not come off the way you initially intended.  (If you even thought about it at all.)
    I use my business Zoom account to practice delivery and record speeches for playback and study.  Because my club runs hybrid meetings, I can get feedback from 2 kinds of participants to ascertain the effectiveness of my online presentation.
  • I watch videos of former Speech Contest Winners to get a winner's feeling, on the belief that a particular "feeling-set" goeswith delivering a winning performance.  I am hoping
    for that to be infectious.
  • I read the judging criteria that judges will be using to evaluate my performance.
  • I study the contest rules THOROUGHLY.  The LAST thing I want is to end up DQ'd (disqualified) due to some technicality that could have been prevented by knowing
    about it.

With BOTH above activities, as preparatory changes are made, it may be necessary to practice
the procedures yet again, which may result in further changes and further practice.

As you can see the process of winning competitions is a thoroughly intimate process. 
However remember: If it ain't FUN, it ain't Toastmasters.


No comments:

Post a Comment