Wednesday, February 5, 2020

WQ6X Blast from the Past: CQ WPX RTTY

In preparation for this upcoming weekend's WPX RTTY contest, I took a look back at the WPX RTTY GiGs WQ6X has been a part of.  It turns out that I have engaged in Multi-2 operations as well as running Single-OP.  These include:
  • [x] 2013 - A Multi-2 Operation w/N6GEO
  • [x] 2016 - An SOABLP event from W7AYT's QTH
  • [x] 2017 - An SOABHP operation remotely from NX6T
  • [x] 2018 - An SOABHP remote operation as NX6T
  • [x] 2019 - A Multi-2 remote operation as NX6T w/N6CY
The 2013 WPX RTTY contest was my entry-level entry into the WPX RTTY GiG. 
George (N6GEO) and I make a good dual-operator Duo.  We gave it everything we had and snagged a 1st-place win for W6; DESPITE our score being DINGED a whopping 89K points due to careless logging errors.  Fast-forwarding the clock to the January 2014 RTTY RU, it would seem that thanks
to this GiG (and other RTTY GiGs throughout 2013), we were well prepared for our triumphant 2014 RTTY-RU win as WP2/WQ6X from St. Croix.; ([CLICK HERE] to read about that.)
 
For the 2016 WPX-RTTY GiG my newly acquired Yaesu FT-1000mp got its [probably] FIRST exposure to RTTY contesting.  Cabling problems and decoding software configuration issues found me spending more time troubleshooting than actually making QSOs.  Nevertheless, my WHOPPING 448 point score took a 23rd place overall - HuH? YEAH!
 
For 2017, the NX6T shack was scheduled to be "Dark" that weekend so I worked out a last-minute remote operation, running an ACOM 2000a amplifier scaled back to about 750 watts; just enough to submit a 560K score for 10th place in W6-land.  When you consider that I didn't really have a clue what I was doing most of the time, it's amazing WQ6X made it to #10.  Ironically, the Solar Flux in Feb-2017 was nearly the same as it is today; except, it was declining to eventually end up way below 70; whereas today, the solar flux is finally on it's way back UP from the bottom.
 
In 2018 I decided to run NX6T remotely as NX6T from W7AYT's QTH in Concord.  Whether it was use of the NX6T callsign or my improved RTTY skills, CQ magazine awarded the operation a 7th-place finish in W6-Land; not bad for "winging it" and just screwing around.
 
 
For last year (2019), I teamed up with N6CY to run a Multi-2 operation as NX6T.  N6CY actually achieved about 6-hours actual B-i-C (Butt in Chair) insuring that the hardware configurations were properly functional.  Otherwise, we both ran remote to the tune of 1.1million points and a 1st-place
for W6 - How CooL is THAT?
 
This GiG had several advantages over 2018, due to the use of an Elecraft K3/0 to run the remote radio from Alameda, and of course, the EASY Button.  Thus far, I've yet to have anyone complain about my use of this button in Radiosport events, but I'm ready if someone does.
 
What can we expect for this year?  GooD Question.
I am in the process of rounding up a team; however if that doesn't happen, then I will run Single-OP High-power.  Either way I will be running the K3/0 from W7AYT's QTH in Concord; and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to dual-OP the event as BOTH NX6T and WQ6X.
 
Have YOU ever worked the WPX RTTY GiG?
Is WQ6X or NX6T in YOUR Log.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment