Monday, May 9, 2022

A Dozen+ ways to Say: "You Should NoT Call Me!"


As I look back on the 2022 Cinco-de-Contest weekend, I am reminded that during the last
5 years of Blog posting, I have discussed the issue of "why you should NoT call me" 9 times. 
While stations calling me when they should NoT is still frustrating, increasingly I just shake
my head in amazement.

Here is a COLLAGE of things I have said about this topic.

If it all looks jumbled, I guess in a way it SHOULD; reflecting the incredulous confusion
over how people sometimes JUST don't GeT It.

From 08/7/2019:

  • If I send "CQ SS" and you don't know what the "SS" means, then, YOU SHOULD NOT CALL ME.  If you have read the Sweepstakes rules, then you know EXACTLY the six pieces of information I am expecting; if not, ask.  Otherwise, DO NOT CALL ME.
  • If you hear me calling "CQ California QSO Party" (or "CQ CQP") and you
    are looking for a 20-minute ragchew, then, YOU SHOULD NOT CALL ME.
    If you have read the CQP rules, then you know that what I am looking for is
    a QSO # and what State/Province you are located in - that is all I need and want. 
    I could care less how much power you are running, what kind of antenna you are feeding into, what the weather is like, what you had for dinner, or what kind of beagle dog you have.  (I may be interested in those things AFTER the contest, but for now, if you can't give me the required CQP information, then, DO NOT CALL ME.)

Bottom-Line:
If you do not know the contest rules, then, YOU SHOULD NOT CALL ME - read the contest
rules first and THEN call me when you know how the game is played.


From 09/7/2019:

I defined N1MM's F1 key to send: "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/CA"
Later I defined N1MM's F1 key to send: "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/6"
From those CQ's I received calls from MO, 2 W7's, a K9, a WB8, a K6 and a KG5 - NONE
of them in CO (Colorado).

Then I defined the F-10 key to send  "I wrk Colorado Only"
Based on this I ask the following Questions:

  • Do You know what "COQP" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know the rules for the COQP?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "WQ6X/CA" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "WQ6X/6" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know that "WQ6X/CA" or "WQ6X/6" means I am in California and NoT Colorado?  If so, then in the COQP contest, YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know what "I wrk Colorado Only" means?  If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT 
    CALL ME.
  • Do You know what it means to listen before responding to a COQP contest call? 
    If not, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.
  • Do You know that when I  send "CQ COQP  WQ6X  WQ6X/CA" that I am NoT looking to ragchew?  If so, then YOU SHOULD NOT  CALL ME.

While I understand that you may be looking to work a WQ6 station, or a station in California, the Colorado QSO party is NoT the time to do that; there are other California stations making a general CQ call - call them instead.

 

From 10/21/2019:

For the AZQP, because there were so few Arizona stations calling CQ, I found a frequency
and called: CQ AZ de NX6T, NX6T/Ca.  Instead of calls from AZ stations, I received calls from:
KY, GA, TN, TX, UT & W6.  HuH?  Per the Why You probably should not call me BLOG, if you don't know what "CQ AZ" or "NX6T/Ca" means, then you should not call me.  If I send "AZ stations only",
unless you are in AZ, you should not call me. 

In many state QSO parties this year many stations with call prefixes not reflecting the state were operating from were calling CQ, making it sound as if they were NoT in that state but looking for stations in that state.  When I asked "are you in AZ/PA/GA", they would say "Yes".  I shouldn't have
to ask - you should make it clear from the beginning.  For example, if you ARE in Arizona and your callsign does not make that clear, then  add the county to your callsign, such as: WQ6X/MCP or NX6T/PNO.

From 2/20/2020

As the contest proceeded, either out of boredom or chronic I-Don't-have-a-Clueness, stateside
and even VA7 stations were calling me.  HuH? Dewd, this is a DX contest, go LooK for DX. 
Lemme address the reasons they call me, explaining this to my mythical friend DEWD - WD6EWD

  • Hey Dewd, if you don't know this is a contest, then YOU should NoT call me.
  • Dewd, if you DO know this is a contest, then you know that you can't work me in this event; therefore YOU should NoT call me.
  • Dewd, do you know this is a DX contest? If so, then YOU should NoT call me.
  • Dewd, just because you're BORED doesn't make a QSO valid; therefore YOU
    should NoT call me.
Are amateurs really as Clueless as WD6EWD?  WoW!  I thought EVERYBODY knew this was
a contest weekend; they're either busy participating in it or openly BITCHING about it in their
mindless ragchews.  Or, am I missing something?....
To refresh your memory, here are links to what I wrote about this "Problem":
  • [x] August 2019 - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 1
  • [x] September 2019 - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 2

Now that We got this all straight....

Evidently, we DIDN'T get it all straight.

From 5/5/2020

For this last weekend, rather than giving a discourse on WHEN you SHOULD call me, I shall explain when you SHOULDN'T call me, using the 7QP QSO Party as the example; the same points apply to the NEQP, DEQP & INQP.

  1. Have You read the RULES for the QSO Party? - If NoT, then You should NoT Call Me. 
    If You HAVE read the rules, then you know that I am listening for callers ONLY in: WA,
    OR, MT, ID, UT, WY, NV, therefore, You should NoT Call Me.
  2. Do You know that CA is in the 6th call area and NoT the 7th? - If SO,
    then You should NoT Call Me.
  3. Do You know what /6 means? - If NoT, then You should NoT Call Me.
  4. Do You know what /CA means? - If NoT, then You should NoT Call Me.
  5. There is NOTHING WORSE than a caller being significantly off frequency with horribly
    choppy Cw, requiring several repeats on their callsign, only to find out that they are a DUPE
    or not in the 7th call area.  WHAT a COMPLETE WASTE of MY TIME.
  6. Stations like N5RGH called in 3-times on 20 meters alone.  What was his point in doing that? Did he have a reason for calling me?  Was EACH contact actually entered in some sort of log?
Here's the bottom line - if you're bored and want stations to communicate with, go to the WA7BNM Contest Calendar, look up this weekend and click on the rules for a given contest event.  Before you know it, you will be contesting like a pro.  Otherwise, blindly calling contest stations when you are NoT actively participating in that event will leave you and everyone else FRUSTRATED.

Can I make it anymore clear?

Evidently NoT!

From 3/21/2021

On Sunday, the 4th contest opportunity came in the form of the North Carolina QSO Party - NCQP.  While there was a smattering of activity, only SIX 20-meter QSOs made it into the NCQP Log, followed by ONE more on 40.  To resolve this, I elected to call CQ on 14041.41 as follows:
            CQ NC de WQ6X/6 WQ6X/CA

This brought callers from virtually every area of the country EXCEPT NC. 
You may remember a 2020 Blog I wrote about this problem. 
Based on that Blog, I ask you the following:

  • Do you know what NCQP means?
    Then unless you are in NC, you should not call me.
    If not, t
    hen you should not call me.
  • Do you know what /6 and /CA means?
    If so, then you know I am in CA and not NC, so
    you should not call me.
    If NoT, then
    you should not call me.
  • When I ask you CTY? , do you know what that means?
    If NoT, then you should NoT have called me.

When one particular non-NC station called.  I sent him the CA exchange
and then asked "CTY?"; to which he replied "OOPS".

Bottom-line: READ the RULES BE-4 EVERY CONTEST EVENT.  If you don't really know why 
you are calling me, then you probably should NoT be calling.  On the air, EVERY transmission
you make should have a specific purpose.  If you don't know why you are transmitting, then you probably
should NoT.

 

From 5/07/2021:

While there was plenty of 7QP/NEQP activity, calling "CQ 7QP" flushed out dozens more 7th area stations casually tuning the bands.  The BiG problem was that "Billy Bob" and his brother "Barney" were also tuning
the bands and kept calling in out of sheer boredom (boredumb?).  

On Ssb I would say "Gee, I hope y'all are in the 7th
call area, because I'm working only the 7th call area";
I couldn't make it any more clear than that.  

Their signals usually being weak made it doubtful they were actually in the 7th call area.  Sure enough, they were all in PA, NC, FL, GA, KY and TN.  HuH?  WTF?  DiD you HEAR what I JUST said?  If NoT, then you should not have called me.



I've written several Blogs on why you should NoT call me:

  1. [X] - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 1
  2. [X] - 7 Reasons You [probably] Should Not Call Me - Part 2
  3. [X] - WQ6X Offers Further PROOF that - "You Should NoT Call Me!"
           (written during last year's Cinco-de-Contest weekend).

For this year's 7th area QSO party translating the above blog points goes like this:

  1. Do You know what "CQ 7QP" means?  If NoT, then you should not call me.
  2. Do you know that WQ6X/6 means I am in the 6th call area and NoT the 7th call area? 
    If NoT, then you should not call me.
  3. Do you know that WQ6X/CA means I am in California and NoT the 7th call area? 
    If NoT, then you should not call me.
  4. On Ssb, if you  hear me say "7th call area only" and you are not in the 7th call area... 
    then you should not call me.
  5. Do you even KNOW where the "7th call area IS? 
    If NoT, then you should not call me.

Before you BLINDLY call a contest station, please do the following:

  • Listen to hear what contest that station is running 
  • Look up that contest on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar.
  • Read the RULES for that contest.
  • If you're not in the geographical location the CQ caller is looking
    for, then MOVE ON - find a non-contester to converse with.

 

From 4/06/2022:  

Of course, my "CQ MO WQ6X/6 WQ6X/CA" calls were responded to by stations who OBVIOUSLY didn't get it.  I have written up this problem up before ([CLICK HERE] to read that).  Let's review this situation, shall we?  When I call "CQ MO WQ6X/6 WQ6X/CA":

  • Do you know what CQ MO means? 
    If NoT, then you should not call me.
    If you know that I am looking for MO and you are not in Missouri,
    then you should Not call me.
  • If you DO know this is the Missouri QSO party
    If you don't know that WQ6X/6 and/or WQ6X/CA means I am not in Missouri,
    then you should NoT call me.
    If you DO know that WQ6X/6 and/or WQ6X/CA means I am NoT in Missouri,
    then, you should NoT call me.

It's REALLY that simple.  Am I MISSING something?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment