Friday, May 13, 2022

What the Reverse Beacon Network can Do for You






















Have you ever run a contest or operating event and wondered who was actually hearing your signals?  I have learned that just because they are NoT spotting me does NoT mean they are NoT hearing me.  With the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) we can visualize more clearly when/where we are being heard on a given amateur band; all that is required is to make a series of calculated CQ calls and check the RBN website entries for the callsign.  This is one of the 8 things I do after EVERY radiosport weekend.  ([CLICK HERE] to read that original Blog.)

If you go to the RBN website and look up my callsign (WQ6X), you will receive a list of last 100 SPOTs from my more recent on-the-air operations.  

If you read the Blog entry I wrote about that given weekend it may be possible to correlate my descriptions (bot GooD and Not so Good) with RBN stat data.  

RBN stats often seem to be at odds with empirical experience; more noticeable on 10-meters than other HF bands.  
I'll make a CQ call and receive a number of RBN spots from a given area, yet no human-OP'd stations seem to be listening, or even seeing the WQ6X spots for that band.  


Then, a station will call in from a different area altogether for which there were no RBN spots.  

Just because RBN stats and reality don't always match, I don't blindly ignore RBN data.  RBN data (like Space-WX information) are simply sources of data I can utilize to modify my immediate operating strategy.  Somebody once said "know before you go"; additionally, I add:: continue to know as you continue to GO.

Do YOU make use of the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) facility?

If NoT, you are TRULY missing OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment