variations on why "you should not call me". ([CLICK HERE] to see where all this comes from.)
Every time I post a new Blog in this arena, I keep thinking I've nothing more to say on the subject.
Then August contest weekend #4 happens. As I worked my way through the process, the decision was made to document how I transformed an annoying operating experience to a "well-oiled" solution.
During August weekend #4, my radiosport time was focused on YODX Cw Contest and later the Ohio QSO Party (OHQP). During both contest events, from time to time, I would run out of stations calling CQ that I could hear. At that time, I pick a unique run frequency and put out a CQ for that particular contest.
For the Ohio QSO Party my CQ was EXPLICITLY CLEAR: CQ OH WQ6X/6 WQ6X/CA.
Unfortunately, more non-Ohio stations called-in, than actual stations in Ohio.
This leads me to ask ONCE AGIN the key questions that this blog is all about.
- Do You know what "CQ OH" means? - If NoT, then You should not call me.
- If You DO know what "CQ OH" means and you're not in Ohio?
then You should NoT call me. - Have you read the OHQP Rules? If NoT, then You should NoT call me.
- If you HAVE read the rules, do you get that I am a California looking for Ohio station?
If NoT.... you know the drill... - Do you understand that "/6" and "/CA", mean that I am in California, not in Ohio?
If NoT..... you need to review the State and Call Area ABBV's. - If You DO know this is the OHQP and that I am a California station, what is your
purpose for calling me? I can't add you to my log so it means nothing.
When I say you're FIVE-NINE (5-9), I say that to EVERYBODY. If you ARE REALLY 5-9, then your signal is blanketing the weaker signals (possibly from Ohio) disrupting an otherwise smoothly running RUN frequency.
As you can see from the blog picture above, an integrated set of function key definitions were derived
to make this unfortunate situation more manageable.
When I call "CQ OH....." I am looking ONLY for Ohio stations who will give me "5-9" and "XXXX" (their 4-letter county abbreviation) - state QSO parties are REALLY that simple. Are YOU capable of following directions during a radiosport weekend?
In addition to Ohio QSO Party (OHQP), there was the Romanian YODX contest which I ran on Cw:
Similar to the QSO party, running out of stations calling CQ, I found a "quiet" frequency and put out
a CQ YODX for myself. I used 2 variations:
- CQ YO Test WQ6X WQ6X
- CQ Test YO WQ6X WQ6X
Again, we ask the fundamental questions:
- Do you know what "YO Test" or "Test YO" means?
If not, then you should NoT call me. - If you have not read the YODX rules, then you should NoT call me.
- If you HAVE read the rules, then you know I am looking for "5-N-N and Serial#".
When I ask for your NR? I do NoT want your state, I want a QSO number.
If you don't know what a Serial/QSO number is, then you should NoT call me - If you DO know that I want a Serial #, then why are you sending me your state?
Have I left anything OUT?
To wrap-up this little rant, I leave with the ending to the last Blog on this topic:
Bottom-line is to take each situation as it presents itself and then move forward.
There is a time and a frequency for you to call me. I look forward to adding your
callsign to my contest log - just doit in the right way at the right time.
callsign to my contest log - just doit in the right way at the right time.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment