In 2o12, I came up with a different idea. Registering the W6L callsign (L = Lighthouse), I drove
a Mercury Cougar (sports car) from Vallejo ending in Santa Cruz, stopping at every lighthouse along
the way. Using the callsign "Whiskey Six London - mobile", I ran an ICOM 7000 into a weirdly rigged hamstick dipole tuned by a vintage DENTRON Jr. Monitor antenna tuner.
a Mercury Cougar (sports car) from Vallejo ending in Santa Cruz, stopping at every lighthouse along
the way. Using the callsign "Whiskey Six London - mobile", I ran an ICOM 7000 into a weirdly rigged hamstick dipole tuned by a vintage DENTRON Jr. Monitor antenna tuner.
With the NAQP in full swing, stopping at each lighthouse, a handful of QSOs were made on the
20 & 40-meter bands. Running only Ssb, the Hamsticks were all tuned once for the phone band before the expedition was begun.
20 & 40-meter bands. Running only Ssb, the Hamsticks were all tuned once for the phone band before the expedition was begun.
I've not done anything nearly as elaborate as the 2o12 W6L mini expedition.
I've contacted several California lighthouses about setting up a weekend-long event, and thus
far have yet to receive permission for other than just a few hours -which is is simply unacceptable.
I've contacted several California lighthouses about setting up a weekend-long event, and thus
far have yet to receive permission for other than just a few hours -which is is simply unacceptable.
Late last month we had the Islands On The Air (IOTA) and now in August, we colloquially have
LOTA - Lighthouses On The Air. There is of course other "on the air" GiGs such as POTA & SOTA.
LOTA - Lighthouses On The Air. There is of course other "on the air" GiGs such as POTA & SOTA.
Have YOU made contacts during any of the above events?
Have YOU ever considered hosting a unique Event?
No comments:
Post a Comment