Often, when I run a contest frequency I get:
- the WEIRDSET Calls at
- the WEIRDEST Times for
- the WEIRDEST Reasons
- Creating the WEIRDEST Results
Why would stations literally BLINDLY call me?
Are they:
- DRUNK?
- UNCONSCIOUS?
- OBLIVIOUS?
- 1/2 Asleep?
- LoST?
- ConFused?
- Under Hypnosis?
- FILL-IN the BLANK
One thing is certain, even if they send me the WRONG exchange information, I will enter what it SHOULD BE into the log. They are so clueless that they will never figure out how to submit a log.
Let me be clear here: I love putting VALID QSOs into the log - 1-point is better than 0-points.
However, it often seems like the stations who don't have a clue require 2x to 3x the time and
effort to get that QSO point, then it does with callers who call-in, send a QUICK exchange and
then quickly move on.
However, it often seems like the stations who don't have a clue require 2x to 3x the time and
effort to get that QSO point, then it does with callers who call-in, send a QUICK exchange and
then quickly move on.
I have written about this Ad-nauseam ([CLICK HERE]) and yet new variations on the theme
manage to surface in nearly every contest weekend. And then of course we have the Tune-Up
turkeys who are always oblivious to who is actually using a frequency and for what purpose.
manage to surface in nearly every contest weekend. And then of course we have the Tune-Up
turkeys who are always oblivious to who is actually using a frequency and for what purpose.
The OP's who really amaze me, are those who reply to my contest CQ and then go into RAGCHEW mode. I at least am usually able to determine "Name and State" which we are looking for in GiGs like NAQP and some state QSO parties.
Successful radio communication all begins with listening. Before calling CQ, we should first listen for the frequency not being in use and then ASK if the frequency is in use. With no reply to our query the frequency is available for whatever purpose we choose.
When calling other CQ'ers we need to first ask what we are looking to accomplish by initiating communication. When we hear a station calling CQ we should ascertain what that station is looking for. Assuming the two goals are compatible then give them a 1 x 2 call (their callsign once, and your callsign twice).
If the station is calling CQ for a contest intriguing but not known to me, if necessary, I will look
the event up on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar. Using N1MM+ to run contests, after first reading
the rules, the next step is to setup a new contest event under the logger. With logging ready to go,
I type the caller's callsign into the callsign field and press F4 to send my callsign announcing myself.
All this can happen in under 5-minutes.
the event up on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar. Using N1MM+ to run contests, after first reading
the rules, the next step is to setup a new contest event under the logger. With logging ready to go,
I type the caller's callsign into the callsign field and press F4 to send my callsign announcing myself.
All this can happen in under 5-minutes.
Over the years I have encountered a plethora of Japanese (JA) stations who always tune-up approx. 500-Hz offset from my run frequency - at LEAST they give me a QSO after the annoying carrier.
Because I utilize a pair of Autek QF-1A filters to create the Stereo-CW method, the Aux. Notch filter in each unit can manually take out the carrier w/o disturbing CW copy - something DSP DNF (Digital Notch Filter) units cannot do w/o obliterating the Cw as well. So-called "analog" technology is still quite viable in modern day radio installations.
Let's consider the other side of working WQ6X. Occasionally a station will call-in asking what the contest is all about.
I am quite willing to make time and explain the procedure - what I get out of doing that is a QSO-point and possibly down the line another callsign has been added to the radiosport world - future QSO points.
Bottom-line is to take each situation as it presents itself and then move forward.
There is a time and a frequency for you to call me. I look forward to adding your callsign
to my contest log - just doit in the right way at the right time.
There is a time and a frequency for you to call me. I look forward to adding your callsign
to my contest log - just doit in the right way at the right time.
No comments:
Post a Comment