Monday, March 28, 2022

Waxing philosophical about Weird Prefix



















(This was written on Friday, March 25th enroute to Alameda prior to the WPX contest.)
We are but hours away from commencement of yet another WPX (Weird Prefix) Ssb radiosport contest.  Sometime ago I wrote a Blast from the Past blog regarding this early spring event. 
As you may know I am NoT a big fan of single-sideband contests; especially worldwide affairs. 
While I can copy weird Cw w/o much difficulty, foreign accents often drive me bonkers - give me
Cw or RTTY GiGs, any day.

One of the CooL things about all 3 WPX contests (RTTY, Cw & Ssb) is the [so-called] weird prefixes that make their appearance; many created specifically for a given WPX contest.  Often I am surprised to note that these prefixes are actually within the IARU callsign allocations.  I like that WPX is a 48-hour GiG, offering me the opportunity to operate BOTH as NX6T and WQ6X, from which I get TWO weird prefix  operations from ONE operator and TWO contest entries for the 3830 Scores listing. 
As it turns out, for 2022, NX6T will not be making an appearance, giving me all 48 hours to run
WQ6X as I please.

When I review the WPX events from 2011 - 2013, I can hope for similar band openings to
those years back in Solar Cycle 24 during this year's event.  As the Solar Flux (SFI) increases,
we [hopefully] gain 10 & 15 meter band openings which mean a not-insignificant increase in repeat QSOs on multiple bands (multipliers happen only ONCE per weird prefix).   WPX GiGs produce the highest [multi-million] raw point scores of any major radiosport contest that I am aware of.

This WPX contest will be the first time I run WQ6X using FT-2000 with split-receive audio. 
The built-in voice keyer alone shall make a HUGE difference in how crisp things run.

What about YOU?
Do You ever participate in the Weird Prefix Ssb contest?

If you have a Weird Prefix - we NEED you!
GO FOR IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment