Monday, March 7, 2022

The Continuing Saga of 5-9 & 5-99











This last weekend found me dual-OP'ing the ARRL Dx phone contest, joining up with team-NX6T remotely to WA6TQT's QTH in Anza (San Bernardino mountains in So. California), while running
as WQ6S from my portable setup @W7AYT's QTH in Concord California.  The exchange we give during this 1930's-based contest begins with a "signal report", which back in the 1930's was Significant and Relevant.

As the years progressed, because log entries were written by hand (or typed in) operators got
lazy and began just 5-99 (Cw) or 5-9 (phone) to everybody; from that moment forward, signal
reports became Insignificant and Irrelevant.  Occasionally a station would hand out REAL
signal reports  (I did that at first); a contact with such a station would effectively stand
out in the log.

With the advent of computer logging programs (with their macro-ized sending), sending a REAL
signal report slowed things down considerably, making it easier for the computer to just computer send "5-9" or "5-99", or, for Ssb contests .MP3 files can be recorded and played back repeatedly
to send the proper exchange to calling stations.

Last year I published a blog entry about the superfluousness of the 5-9 & 5-99 exchange proposing what to do about it.  Until this last weekend, I had nothing more substantial to add.  What stirred my
thinking about this again was the question of what constitutes a "Number" (NR) in the Dx contest.

To understand this distinction, we should review the exchange that is sent during the contest. 
In the ARRL DX contest, event stations in the USA and Canada are sought by amateurs around
the world; WE are the desirable stations.  The exchange we send is as follows:
  • USA/Canada stations send "59" or "599" and a 2-letter abbv. indicating their state/province.
  • DX stations send "59" or "599" and their power-level, also called their NR (number).
When I ask for your number, I am looking to know your power-level.  Unfortunately, DX stations often ask me for MY number.  In truth I HAVE no number; the only numerical thing I send is "59" or "599". 
I have concluded that what they REALLY want is my STATE (ST?).  For Canadian stations, it is unnecessary to ask for the province; the prefix of their callsign tells us what their province is. 
Contest logging software fills in the province for me automatically.

You've heard me say that before you begin a contest operation you should read the contest event rules thoroughly.  If you read the DX contest rules thoroughly, you KNOW that I have no number to send; therefore, you should NoT ask me for my number, as I have none to give; instead, you should ask for my STATE (ST?).

If we used a Serial # and QTH in the exchange (as is done with the ARRL RTTY RU contest,
the 5-9/5-99 problem would be immediately solved.  Then you would be forced to ask "ST?"
when you are uncertain about what my location is.

It's really as simple as THAT.

Any QUESTIONS?

3 comments: