Tuesday, October 1, 2024

WQ6X wRangles a Remote QRP CQ W.W. RTTY Contest


Of all the CQ W.W. GiGs each year, the September RTTY event is actually the most satisfying,
for 4 Reasons:
  1. No Morse code to Copy or Send.
  2. No SSB necessary - saving my Voice.
  3. Successful QSOs with USA stations not only count for 1-point
    (2-points w/Canada), States & Provinces count towards the overall multiplier total.
  4. The RTTY interface offers over a dozen additional pre-programmed button sequences
    to customize the look/feel of the RTTY data display (on BOTH sides of the QSO).
The REAL challenge this year was to run the event at the QRP power level (5-watts). 
During this year's event, WQ6X managed to work approximately 75% of all stations heard.
Because the solar conditions were so favorable, more time was spent on 15-meters and
on Sunday, especially 10-meters, leaving 20-meters to become "the" under-utilized band
(80-meter RTTY is a world unto itself).

The downside to this weekend was the inability to properly CAT-control the RRC-1258 K3/0-Mini interface unit, requiring the manual entry of the radio operating frequency into the N1MM+ software.  Using VOX, the computer's audio could be routed through a RigExpert Plus RTTY interface unit.


What was "notable" about this particular RTTY contest was the numerous instances of intentional QRM and/or incompetent running of a RTTY installation.  Let me explain:
  1. I choose run frequencies to be EXPLICITLY WEIRD (Ex: 21086.86).  Therefore, when
    you end up on my run frequencies EXACTLY Zero-Beat and start calling CQ, that is NO ACCIDENT; especially if I shift to another WEIRD frequency and you follow/zero-beat
    me there as well.
  2. At 07:58z, 10:58z and 11:12z Calling CQ on 7067.67 find WQ6X not only flooded with FT8-swarms, but one or more are SPECIFICALLY zero-beat with my MARK Frequency - HuH? 
    NO Accident.
  3. The IQ2 station who called CQ on my run frequency, then frantically gave me a call.
    When I sent him an Exchange, he promptly DISAPPEARED.
  4. A VE3 calling CQ on my run frequency.  I shift up 2kc - his CQ follows me.
  5. Also on 21082.82 a GURGLE-BUZZ sound came on frequency that luckily was
    removeable using the [NB] filter.
When it was all over, I submitted the score to the 3830 Scores Website as WQ6X and checked
into WQ6X's standing on the Contest Online Scoreboard.

What about YOU?  DiD YOU Play Around in the CQ WW RTTY GiG?

What Kind of WEIRDNESS DiD YOU Encounter?

Is WQ6X in YOUR LoG?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment