Saturday, July 2, 2022

Why YOU Should ALWAYS Pay Attention










Contest operation visitors often ask, something on the order of "What's the most common
thing you say over the radio"?  My Answer?: "Again, AGAIN!?"  However, what I Don't say
over the air a dozen times an hour (but mumble to myself loud enough for the room to hear)
is: "PAY ATTENTION!".  I say that REPEATEDLY in response to unexpected things which
happen during radiosport operation.  Here are a few things that make me go "HuH?!?"

  • While running a frequency, 5 stations call-in at once.  I work one of the 5 (10-seconds max.), send "QRZ?" and the other 4 have disappeared.  REALLY?   Where'd-ja GO?
    (after 9.5 seconds).  Recently, out of frustration, I even wrote a blog about this
    ([CLICK HERE] to read it.).  As a trained neuro-therapist, I guess I shouldn't be
    surprised by the inability to remain focused for at least 10-seconds.
  • A station calls-in frantically several times - BiG Signal.  I send him an Exchange,
    and then: NOTHING, the station Disappears into DEAD air.  REALLY? - I thought
    you DESPARATELY wanted a CONTACT! - WHEW!
  • I call "CQ ASIA" or "CQ EU" and receive calls from Billy-Bob and his brother Barney, obliterating the WEAK QRP stations desperately hoping to get thru, and I'm desperately attempting to dig out of the (often high) noise-level.  Do you understand what CQ ASIA and CQ EU mean?  If NoT, then YOU SHOULD NOT CALL ME.  I've written this one up NUMEROUS time.  ([CLICK HERE]) to read the latest installment on that horribly
    overrun topic.
  • When running a frequency accompanied by fast-fading, I miss your Number and send "NR?".  You send "599 $@&" (a quick fade took your number out).  I heard perfectly the "599" (which I don't need to hear a 2nd time) and then the signal fades and I miss hearing the number again and again.  Had you sent ONLY the number "069", I would have copied it perfectly on the FIRST repeat; instead of 4 "599 $@&" time wasters.
  • During the recent Canadian RAC contest, I would call a station spotted on the band map
    (Ex: "VE6xx"), hear him LOUD and CLEAR, send in my callsign and: NOTHING!".  After
    3 calls with no return (sometimes others also called-in) and sending "QRL?" twice with no reply, I press [F1] and call CQ - the frequency is now mine.  Operators will click on (what is now) a busted-spot and will work WQ6X instead; either way WQ6X gets 2-Points.
  • A station on a run frequency sends "WQ6?", leading me to believe that a QSO with him
    is a Slam-Dunk and send my callsign TWICE.  Instead, it turns out to be a Slam-DONK. 
    KB6LID calls in on top of me and the run station works HIM - NoT me!  What happened
    to "WQ6? - HuH? Pay ATTENTION! - BoTH OF YoU!
    When I am a run station and I send "NX6?", I STICK WITH THAT STATION until contact
    is either made, or, deemed impossible.  If necessary, I instruct the LIDs to STBY (QRX),
    or send "NX6 ONLY".
  • When I send "CL?", I want ONLY your callsign (preferably TWICE).  I Don't need to hear MY callsign twice - I already KNOW who I am.  Doing it otherwise, with fading we get:
    "WQ6X WQ6X de KB6#@&" and we are right back where we started from (see above).
Now, having made all these points, I should preface all this with a reminder that preceding EVERY radiosport event, we should do a THOROUGH read of the contest rules, as well as any related information sources.

Then, during each actual radiosport activity we should:
P A Y   A T T E N T I O N

No comments:

Post a Comment