Friday, June 3, 2022

Where'd Y'all GO?

As an Introspection Therapist, I am fascinated by what people do or don't do and the reasoning behind it all.  This level of inquiry becomes useful when I am looking to improvement my own radiosport performance, for a given contest.  Worldwide contests possess a different operational character than, say, domestic contests, State QSO Parties or even Sprint-style contests.

In radiosport contests, operations for me is a combination of running frequencies (i.e. calling CQ)
and searching-and-pouncing (looking for stations calling CQ).  To maximize the logged contacts,
we need to do BOTH; some stations ONLY call CQ, while some stations ONLY search-and-pounce.

Some operators call CQ as a function of SO2-R (Single-OP 2 Radios).  The difficulty comes when they are NoT well-versed in the SO2-R technique.  They often strand callers on their run frequency due to over-focus on the 2nd radio.  When I sense that is the case and there is no response to
3 calls (or 3 callers) I then send "QRL?" 3 times.  

If there is still no response, I now press F1 to call CQ and the frequency becomes mine.  Occasionally, the previous "resident" will blindly call CQ on top of me; clear evidence they are NoT listening BEFORE they transmit; prompting me to press function key 11 (F11), sending "QRL QSY".

Operators running frequencies often BLINDLY call CQ after each QSO requiring the other callers
on the run frequency to wait 5+ seconds for that CQ call to complete, when in fact there is NO NEED to call CQ - we waiting callers already know who you are.  The correct action is to wait 1 to 2 seconds for callers on the run frequency to press F4 and identify themselves.

When I run a frequency and I hear multiple callers, after each contact I press the [ESC] key rather than F3 (to send "TU WQ6X").  With other callers lined up, I want to work next-up in the pile-up as quickly as possible.

However, there is one situation (despite all I know and understand) that I have yet to fathom: 
I will call CQ on a run frequency and receive calls from (let's say) 6 stations.  I work one of those stations (approx. 10 seconds), send "QRZ?" and am met with SILENCE (Silencio Profundo).  

HuH?  Where'd Y'all GO?  You can't wait 10-seconds to be next in line?  What ELSE do you have to do in that amount of time?  It will take you far-longer than 10-seconds to find another CQ caller.

Just as baffling is the frantic calling station who ID's several times yet when I send then an exchange, they disappear.  Just as frustrating is the frantic caller (often louder and overpowering callers, or super-weak, requiring a half-dozen repeats) who then turns out to be a DUP.

  • If you KNOW we have worked before, then what is the purpose of calling in again?
  • You're a DUP in my log.  Did you enter my callsign in your log the 1st time?
    Do you even USE a log?
  • Have you read the contest rules? 
    If SO, then you KNOW you can only work me ONCE per band. 
    If you have NoT read the rules, then you should NoT be participating
    in the first place.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Running a frequency and search-and-pounce methods are a learned art - practice make more perfect.  One of the reasons I engage in so many different contest events is to improve BOTH
of these skills.  However, as I have written before, it ALL begins with listening.  It then continues
with transmitting precisely, explicitly and consistently.  Many operators DETEST contest activities. 
If we're going to doit, then let's doit right.

What do YOU do to improve YOUR radiosport operating skills?


No comments:

Post a Comment