Monday, September 13, 2021

WQ6X Wangles another Weird Remote Operation Weekend

For WQ6X, the 2nd weekend in September is a radiosport off-weekend; meaning, not much is happening that I can participate in.  While operators (around the world) were pointing their antennas toward Europe, putting 48 hours into a WAE Ssb contest did not fit into my work vs. play schedule for the weekend.  As it is, with the decision to run another remote radiosport GiG from N6GEO, Europe is largely blocked by a massive hill a bit taller than the DX takeoff angle from the Twain Hart QTH.

Last weekend, I ran a hybrid remote operation from N6GEO.  While sending and receiving Ssb was easy from Tuolumne county, I could not make Cw work remotely.  I chose instead the controversial solution of receiving from Twain Hart while transmitting Cw from the Concord location.

For this weekend, I discovered the proper N1MM settings allowing Cw transmission by way of the K3/0 altho I never DiD figure out how to CAT control the RRC-1258 behind the radio, requiring that mode/frequency changes be typed in manually - HORRORS!

While the FOC QSO Party commenced Friday evening, it wasn't until late Saturday morning Cw transmission was finally accomplished.  The Alabama QSO Party was also happening on Saturday (beginning @14:00z) however because of my preoccupation with the FOC GiG (and later the NA SPRINT), the ALQP ended at the same time as the Sprint and was over before I even realized it
had been happening.  This is another reason for QSO parties to also run on Sunday.

Technically, the FOC QSO Party (like Field Day) is an operating event, NoT a radiosport contest; probably the reason it is never listed on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar.  Participation this weekend allowed me to test run keyboard macros for Cw operation, necessary for seamless remote operation.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When it was all over N1MM+ indicated I had run 3-Hours 57-minutes - wOw!
I don't recall making the 1st QSO only 3-minutes into the event, however computers
don't lie, so I must have.  Amazing.

DiD YOU work the FOC contest or the NA Sprint?

Is WQ6X in YOUR LoG?



No comments:

Post a Comment