Friday, August 6, 2021

Sometimes just showing up... Part III







Thus Far, I have written 2 Blogs under this moniker.  (Click [HERE] and [HERE]). 
Reflecting back on several radiosport exercise combinations I been a part of since the WPX
Cw GiG (May 29th) found me musing once again over the importance of just showing up.

Two of my favorite radiosport competitions are the ARRL November Sweepstakes (BOTH Cw and Ssb) and the California QSO Party (CQP).  After teaming up N6GEO running as W6K for the 2014
Cw Sweepstakes, it would seem that we not only posted a high score for the EB (East Bay) section, we won the PAC Division plaque as well.  The following year (2015) running in the relatively new SOULP category, WQ6X won the PAC Division plaque

Both events have in common the fact that I/we just showed up, made a few QSOs, submitted a logfile and got on with the next radiosport event the following weekend.  The contest attitude was more laissez-faire rather than dead-serious operating.  I/We are used to winning section certificates;
picking up a Division plaque is always a pleasant surprise.

A similar thing happened in CQP.  Beginning in 2010, I joined up with N6GEO for a number of successful 1st-place (albeit miraculous that we pulled it off) expedition events from Modoc and the Sacramento River.  Operating from CCOS (Contra Costa) and TUOL (Tuolumne) counties we figured on easily achieving 1st place.  What I did NoT expect was to set county records from those events. 
A couple of years back, N6GEO set a new Single-OP (unassisted) record for Tuolumne county.

Additionally, the CQP contest committee has showcased 3 operations I have been a part of on the previous-year result pages.  I often joke that the contest committee must be desperate if they keep showcasing my operations on their results pages.

We are coming up on the California QSO party in October followed by the November Sweepstakes
a month later.  Plans are being made to create a unique set of multi-OP operations from Alameda county (CQP) and EB section (Sweepstakes).  While I expect these operations to be reasonably organized, the overall goal is to show up, mentor new contest operators and have a good time. 
If we ALSO happen to set a county record and/or pickup a PAC Division plaque, even better.

Again, it's ALL about just showing up and taking things from there.

What about YOU?  Do YOU show up?

Tell me about your results.


No comments:

Post a Comment