Sunday, September 20, 2020

Why State & Area QSO Parties Work for Me

Last year I wrote a September Blog entry detailing why I spend operating time in state/area QSO parties.  With this weekend bringing us 4 state QSO parties (IA, NH, NJ & WA) amongst other GiGs, this blog topic is worth revisiting.

For all operators, QSO Parties have many benefits:
  • Add counties to their county-worked list.
  • Test-run equipment/antenna configurations
  • Study domestic propagation paths
  • Learn new contest software techniques
  • Often overlooked are the benefits accrued to the in-state participants who go
    to considerable effort to put their state counties on the air.  By working them,
    we acknowledge that effort.
The last point has 2-sides to it.  Frequently when I document participation in various QSO parties,
my biggest complaint is that not enough in-state operators participate in their own events.  Like other contests, I seek to earn certificates that reflect my operating skill; even in state QSO parties.  Last year I was surprised to earn for QSO party winner certificates.

Nothing is more frustrating than to spend 6 hours in your QSO party only to hear less than a dozen CQ QSO party calls.  Even MORE frustrating is to hear dozens of out-of-state stations calling CQ for your QSO party because you in-state operators aren't giving us CQ action; unfortunately, I can't work the out-of-state stations.

In states like California, not only do we sport an abundance of in-state operators, having only 58 counties makes it relatively easy to activate ALL counties during the CQP weekend., offering up the opportunity to earn the coveted Worked All California Counties Award; in a single weekend no less.

If you visit the WQ6X CQP Page (WQ6X.Info/CQP), you will notice I have been a part of many county expedition operations, activating Mono, Ventura, Modoc, Sacramento, Tuolumne and Contra Costa counties.  Ironically, I've never run a CQP event from my home county - Alameda.

Now of course lest I forget. with people being encouraged to largely remain indoors (and/or away from people), radiosport GiGs like QSO parties offer us productive things to do, helping to relieve our frustration and boredom (Bore-Dumb?).

What about You?
Do YOU engage in state/area QSO Parties?

If so, tell me about it.

If NoT, WHY Knot?

No comments:

Post a Comment