Wednesday, January 6, 2021

WQ6X Doubles Down for 2021 RTTY RU

 

 

 

 

 

 

Paraphrasing my latest FaceBilk post:

The "Official" 1st Radiosport contest of the new year was of course the ARRL RTTY Roundup
(RU). Seven years ago as WP2/WQ6X from St. Croix, N6GEO and WQ6X took 1st-place for the world.  I did not come anywhere near that this year due to  circumstances that relegated me to run Single-OP (solo) as W6R remotely from Fallbrook.  The modified goal became to run mainly as W6R (remoting into Fallbrook),  filling in the gaps by running as WQ6X from the Concord location; no remote - as direct as you can get.  However I'm getting ahead of myself.

For 2021, the new year being so close,
at the last minute I surprisingly realized that the Scandinavian SARTG Happy New Year RTTY GiG was well underway, explaining
why RTTY signals started appearing in my headphones around 7.055.  Hastily putting together an N1MM+ log and a set of run macros, I found time for the HNY RTTY GiG.
 
Band condx. being overall horrible, only K8YE, GW5NF, HB9MXY & MM9I made
it to the low power log.  At least I can say
I was there ("...It's Nice, to know, that you were there...").  Weird internet disruptions was a preview of what was to come throughout the entire weekend.

In order to run as a high power (over 500 watts) operation, the shack A/C needed to
be toggled on as soon as I could; otherwise,
I would have to monitor the KPA-1500 amp's TEMP, keeping it below 65-C.
 

 
Because the WEMO switch seems to be failing, until our tech-guy (N6KI) comes in on Wednesday
to replace the unit it's a keep-trying-until-it works operation.  Having an Accurite APP on my Galaxy cellphone allows me to track the individual amplifier temperatures; RTTY transmissions SURE generate a LoT of amplifier-heat.

You've heard me complain about the intentional QRM we get on 40-meters late[r] at night. 
In recent years, the QRM-Joker during RTTY contests has been some sort of Data Cranker. 
I guess the cranker got bored or died cuz I don't hear "him" anymore.  The NEW QRM-Joker
is the cluster of FT8 signals that love to swarm around me, or the FT8-IDIOT who parks himself
on my MARK frequency.  The frequency can be ABSOLUTELY Quiet; I make one CQ call and an FT-8 swarm immediately shows up; they probably spot my goal posts on the spectrum display.
 
Of course accompanying EVERY radiosport contest is your friend and mine, the "National
Tuneup Frequency" (N-T-F).  The N-T-F is whatever frequency I happen to be on at the time. 
At 16:39z on 70986.38 funny "popping" sounds began to appear.  I first I thought it had something
to do with distorted audio from the Rockville sound mixer until I "saw" the PoP sounds tickle the S-meter, realizing that they were coming in thru the antenna.
 
The time on/off calculation in the RTTY RU rules document seemed to confuse many a contest participant.  Because adequate sleep was important to me starting this new year, the rule-confusion didn't affect me.  As W6R 17:17 hours were spent in the remote chair.  The operating time for WQ6X from Concord was a mere 2:22 hours; in both cases, a LoT of productive fun, altho unfortunately the internet dropouts every 5 - 10 minutes were frustratingly frustrating.

Statistically, rather than give you a QSO x QSO breakdown, the above stats really tell us about
what really matters anyway.  Paying attention to the band/hours stats can give you an idea what propagation was like in the SDG section throughout the day.

What the statistics DON'T SHOW are the hundreds of internet dropouts occurring throughout the weekend.  Bottom-Line: If alluva sudden I seemed to have disappeared on you, it wasn't personal; most likely, either/both of the Radio/VNC (pair) took a dive.  I could probably HEAR You - I just couldn't respond.  VERY frustratingly Frustrating.

DiD YOU work the ARRL RTTY RU Contest?

IS W6R or WQ6X in YOUR LoG?

No comments:

Post a Comment