Thursday, October 1, 2020

WQ6X Runs a Raucous but Riske' CQ W.W. RTTY Contest

As I struggled to find a structure for this blog entry, it occurred to me that the place to start
is look into the past to see what was done RTTY-wise prior to this years CQ W.W. GiG.  Time was taken out from this Blog to create a Blast from the Past blog entry about this uniquely timed event.

For the 2020 RTTY GiG I was unable to make a trip to W7AYT's QTH in Concord; instead, I relied on the simple setup in Alameda to run NX6T's STN-1 remotely as WQ6X.  In my mind the previous runs of the CQ W.W. RTTY were a familiarization exercise for how it COLD be done.  The goal for 2020 was to incorporate everything learned and take this operation into the [proverbial] stratosphere. 
As it turns out, WQ6X did JUST that.
I guess I DiD Learn from the Past.

In reading score submissions after the contest I was amazed to hear how many operators said there were no openings on Friday,  WQ6X began the contest with a decent (shock) 15-meter opening at 00:30z; while no Asians were heard, a pipeline South America was wide-open.  The small number
of SA stations worked had nothing to do with Poor Propagation, but simply lack of B-i-C operators.

Learning from past means implementing aspects learned from earlier/former events into the current operation, whether I be in Alameda or Concord.  Alameda is completely IP-Based (no radio hardware) whereas in Concord I have access to an Elecraft K3/0 as well as a 33" monitor, allowing the operation to run split screen.

Because this was a RTTY contest, technically the entire event can be run with the speakers turned
off and the headphones unplugged.  Several times during the weekend the RCForb connection would fail.  It always happened while running a frequency, so I just kept on going.  Without audio, the trick is to pay complete attention to the decoder screen and the demodulator window showing the goal post indicators.  One outage was over 20 minutes and later turned out to be one of the most productive
run hours (according to N1MM+'s after-contest stats).

Although not necessarily well delineated, it should come as no surprise that working hoards
of multipliers is one of the secrets to producing an award-winning score.  I was pleased with the variety of Central/South American zones on the air and yet disappointed with the lack of attendance
by the "smaller" countries.  China & Taiwan were a "no-show" this year, as were Zones 16 - 18 and 20 - 23,  At least VR2CC brought us Zone 24.

Turning to the Russian military beacons sent us mixed signals.  The K-Beacon was again noticeably missing,  The F-Beacon was reasonably strong, suggesting that there WAS propagation to Mongolia and most of China.  Evidently, what was missing  were B-i-C operators.  Bummer Dewd.  I found it amusing that the ~7.039 corridor was littered with RTTY signals, while the beacons kept on beeping away.

The one frustrating situation I encounter in EVERY remote RTTY contest run from Alameda
is stations being off frequency.  The ONE downside of running from Alameda is that RCForb
has no easy way to R-I-T.  I can run split frequency (transmitting with VFO-B), however tuning
signals in then shows the log-frequency as having shifted when in fact it hasn't.

The workaround is by way of pressing F-11 which sends, "YOU'RE OFF FREQUENCY -
TUNE ME IN", followed by F-3 "TU QRZ WQ6X".  I often have to do this SEVERAL TIMES. 
Lemme see if I understand the problem.
  • If you can READ my message, then you know you are off frequency,
    so tune  me in properly and try again.
  • If you CAN'T read my message, then you are off frequency and shouldn't
    be calling me anyway.
When I run RTTY from the Concord location the Elecraft K3/0 has an EXCELLENT R-I-T system;
IF I feel like turning it on and using it.  The REAL solution (is it not?) is to BE ON FREQUENCY. 
Isn't it ironic that stations who go into CQ mode (on my run frequency) are usually EXACTLY on
frequency.  I'm NoT asking you to intentionally QRM me.  I AM asking you to be on frequency. 
As it turns out, by doing so, you will make MORE QSOs and with LESS effort by doing that.


After the contest was long over, 3830 Statistics began to become relevant.
It would seem that WQ6X took 1st-place for California (W6) and 4th-place for Zone-3. 
I got curious about what set us apart.  The number of QSOs was incredibly close amongst 1st,
2nd & 3rd.  While my QSO count lagged the leader by 40, it would seem that the REAL difference between my 4th-place and the rest was a significant lack of ST/Prov. and DX multipliers.  Ironically, my Zone count was WAY beyond the rest.  Evidently, a high zone count does not a top scorer make.
 
Regardless of how my score eventually ends up, this was the BEST CQ W.W. RTTY I've ever run.  The operation also confirmed that the upgrades to the Stepp-IR control box were overall worth having done.  I really love being able to run BI-Directional between JA & SA.
 
Did YOU work the CQ W.W. RTTY contest?
 
Is WQ6X in YOUR LoG?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment