Wednesday, April 26, 2023

A WQ6X as W6J Retrospective






I run so many ad-HOC radiosport weekends, it is a MAJOR undertaking, not only remembering
them all but remembering many of the significant (yet seemingly insignificant) details from each event.  This is why I publish what I do in this WQ6X Contest Blog.  Long after the Alzheimer's kicks-in, these Blog posts will serve to document the nonsense I spent my weekend-time with during the last 20-or-so years.  Additionally, truth be told, next time around I will probably do something like this
ALL OVER AGAIN.  (He Who does not Learn from the Past is DOOMed to Repeat It!")

Over the years, I have registered a number of different 1x1 callsigns for different reasons. 
Beginning in 2012 (before this Contest BLOG was begun), I made use of the W6J callsign
to make for a more unique JIDX Cw Experience.

  • [X] - 2022: WQ6X Works a 7.5 Contest Weekend.
  • [X] - 2021: WQ6X Wangles another Weird Multi-contest Weekend.
  • [X] - 2019: BLASTS from the Past: JIDX Cw.
  • [X] - 2016: W6J takes North America for JIDX 2016 CW contest.
  • [X] - 2014: WQ6X operates 2014 JIDX Cw solo from SF East Bay.
  • [X] - 2013: WQ6X Operates as W6J in the 2013 JIDX Cw Contest

During the years in between the above events, WQ6X joined up with the NX6T crew to create
a number of 1st-place operations.  The 2015 & 2017 operations were run onsite from NX6T when
we were operating out of the Fallbrook location.  From 2018 and beyond, WQ6X has put in operating time with NX6T running remotely.

I love using the W6J 1x1 callsign as it sounds very sonorous acoustically.
My theory is that if it sounds "melodic" it will attract more calling stations
due to the aesthetic nature of the W6J callsign

As it turns out, using a "simple" 1x1 callsign made a not-insignificant difference in 2023's
running of W6J at the QRP-level.

Have you ever heard or worked W6J during a JIDX contest?
Stay tuned - I may reprise the callsign again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment